What happened to dotTrace, dotCover and dotMemory?
These products are no longer offered separately and will only be available as part of ReSharper Ultimate. If you have a perpetual license for one of these products, you are eligible for a discount for ReSharper Ultimate subscription as an existing customer.
Can I buy ReSharper or ReSharper C++?
Yes. While ReSharper Ultimate includes ReSharper, ReSharper C++, dotCover, dotTrace and dotMemory, you can still purchase ReSharper (which includes .NET and Web Languages) or ReSharper C++ individually.
What licensing terms apply to TeamCity, YouTrack and Upsource?
TeamCity, YouTrack, Upsource or Hub remain under perpetual licensing model.
YouTrack inCloud, a hosted solution by JetBrains, has been and will continue to offer subscription scheme for the service.
What products are available under the All Products license?
The All Products license allows access to all the products that form the JetBrains Toolbox portfolio, namely:
IntelliJ IDEA, AppCode, CLion, PhpStorm, PyCharm, RubyMine, WebStorm, DataGrip and ReSharper Ultimate (which includes dotCover, dotTrace, dotMemory, and ReSharper C++).
Can several products be used at the same time with the All Products license?
Yes. However, it has to be used by a single individual on a single machine.
Do I need to have Internet access to use JetBrains products?
After the initial authentication using JetBrains Account credentials, it is not required to have a permanent Internet access to use the product. It is required, however, that a product is able to connect to the JetBrains servers at least once every 30 days. If the last successful connection was within the mentioned 30 days, no interruptions should occur. In case no connection could be established for 30 days, the product will notify the user and will allow some time to connect to the Internet before asking to close the application.
If you do not have access to the Internet at all, please see How will this change affect customers in Government, Education, and others who are unable to utilize electronic delivery or web-accessed softwarefor more information.
Will I be able to use the JetBrains License Server?
If you are a current user of our license server, you can continue using it.
The newest subscriptions (purchased after November 2nd, 2015) require an installation of the updated license server. Please contact our Sales Team or your Account Manager for more detail.
The updated license server is provided free to those with at least 50 active subscriptions or licenses of JetBrains products.
Where can I find my existing licenses and their expiration dates?
What is our licensing model?
From November 2, 2015, JetBrains has adopted subscription-based licensing model for selected products, allowing our customers to purchase monthly and yearly subscriptions for one or more products.
An All Products option is also available providing our customers with access to all our desktop products (IDEs, utilities and extensions).
Please note, our subscription-based licensing model grants a perpetual fallback license.
TeamCity, YouTrack, Hub and Upsource are the team tools group of products which is covered under the perpetual licensing model.
What is JetBrains Toolbox?
JetBrains Toolbox refers to the list of JetBrains desktop developer tools that are available under a monthly or yearly subscription plan. The following products are currently available under the JetBrains Toolbox subscription:
- IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate
- PyCharm Professional
- ReSharper Ultimate which includes ReSharper, ReSharper C++, dotTrace, dotCover and dotMemory
What products are affected?
Following products are affected by the change to JetBrains Toolbox :
- IntelliJ IDEA
- ReSharper Ultimate, including
- ReSharper C# and VB.NET
- ReSharper C++
Following products are not affected by this change:
Subscription-based licensing model vs. perpetual licensing model
With the perpetual licensing model (until November 2, 2015), as a customer you would buy a perpetual license to the product and then pay for upgrades yearly to receive new versions.
This model applies to TeamCity, YouTrack, Hub and Upsource.
With the subscription-based licensing model (after November 2, 2015):
If purchasing monthly:
You will have usage rights to all releases while your subscription is active. If you pay for 12 consecutive months, you will receive a perpetual fallback license for the exact version that was available when your 12 consecutive months term started. As your monthly subscription continues, your perpetual fallback license grant will be upgraded and renewed to versions 12 months prior.
If purchasing annually:
You will immediately get a perpetual fallback license for the exact version available at the time of purchase. This license will allow you to use that exact version of the software should you decide to not continue with the subscription after the year is up.
The perpetual fallback license is available whether you subscribe to a single product or the ‘All Products’ option.
What is perpetual fallback license?
Perpetual fallback license is the license that allows you to use a specific version of software without an active subscription for it. The license also includes all bugfix updates, more specifically in X.Y.Z version all Z releases are included.
When purchasing an annual subscription, you will immediately get a perpetual fallback license for the exact version available at the time.
If paying on a monthly basis, as soon as you pay for 12 consecutive months, you will receive this perpetual fallback license providing you with access to the exact product version for when your 12 consecutive months subscription started. You will receive perpetual fallback licenses for every version you’ve paid 12 consecutive months for.
This option is available whether you subscribe to a single product or the ‘All Products’ option.
What are the benefits of JetBrains Toolbox subscriptions?
The subscription-based model provides:
- Lower entry prices for new customers.
- Ability to pay monthly or annually.
- Fallback perpetual licenses after one year of payments.
- Substantial discounts for existing customers .
- Ability to use all of our desktop products for one monthly price.
What is an Existing Customer Discount?
All existing customers who have purchased perpetual licenses prior to November 2nd 2015, qualify for discounted subscription pricing for switching their existing licenses to the new model.
There are two offers:
1. For customers with valid upgrade subscription or a subscription that has expired after November 2, 2014, our offer is as follows:
- Two years of subscription coverage for the price of 40% off our standard price. This nearly works out to be two years coverage for the price of one. Because this is a 2 year coverage term, you will receive perpetual fallback license upon initial purchase and then a second perpetual fallback license at the one year mark.
- No additional payment is due for two years. If you continue on to the third year, we will continue the 40% discount on the yearly subscription plan. At that point, we will also issue you another perpetual fallback license at the time of purchase.
- Your 2 year subscription start date will begin when your current subscription lapsed or ends. This doesn't apply however when switching to an All Products subscription. In this case, the subscription date starts on the date of purchase of the subscription, as this is considered a product switch in addition to a move to subscriptions.
2. For customers with products bought without active upgrade subscription or a subscription that expired before November 2, 2014, our offer is as follows:
- 40% discount on yearly or monthly subscription plans
The following conditions apply to the existing customer discount:
The offer has to be redeemed before January 1, 2017
The offer only applies to switching existing licenses to the new model. Purchases for additional users will fall under the standard pricing.
The initial 40% off is only applicable when staying on the same product. When switching from IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, ReSharper or ReSharper Ultimate to All Products, the initial discount is 20%. Third year onwards it is 40%.
To know whether this discount can be combined with other offers, please contact our Sales Team or your Account Manager.
What are the prices for JetBrains Toolbox?
For more information on pricing please see www.jetbrains.com/toolbox
How will this impact older licenses with an upgrade subscription?
All customers with licenses with non-expired Upgrade Subscription can continue using the purchased products and receive benefits according to the original license terms (e.g. receive free product updates).
How do I manage and distribute licenses within my organization?
Once the upgrade subscription term ends (after November 2, 2015), there will be no option to renew the existing upgrade subscription. However, a discounted price will be offered for switching to our new subscription-based licensing model.
Please make sure to check the requirements for Existing Customer Discounts.
How will this impact older licenses without an upgrade subscription?
If you own a permanent license for a JetBrains product without upgrade subscription, then you can use the licensed version of the product as long as you wish. If you decide you would like a new version of the product, you will be offered to switch to our subscription-based licensing model at a special price.
Please make sure to check the requirements for Existing Customer Discounts.
Will you take Purchase Orders under Subscription-based model?
Yes, but only for the annual subscriptions. Purchase Orders are not accepted as payment methods for monthly subscription.
What helps me transition from perpetual licensing model to subscription based one?
We have done a number of things to help our existing customers transition as smooth as possible to our new subscription based:
- Our existing Upgrade Subscription customers can continue using their licenses without any changes receiving upgrades for as long as their upgrade subscription is valid.
- We offer all our existing customers discounted prices for yearly subscription plans.
- We made JetBrains Account a single place to manage all purchased products, subscriptions and services.
How will subscription-based licensing model affect customers in Government, Education, etc. who are unable to utilize electronic delivery or web-accessed software?
JetBrains is committed to finding solutions that will ease the transition to subscription-based models. We do recognize that some customers have limited access to the internet. As such, we now allow for offline activation codes to be generated with each annual subscription purchase.
After purchase, within our portal, you will have the option to either connect via your JetBrains Account or to generate an offline activation code to use during your subscription term.
What is the difference between commercial and personal licenses?
- A Commercial license is the standard licensing option for organizations and business entities. Licenses are purchased by the company and can be used by any person within this organization.
- A Personal license is an option for private individuals who purchase a license with their own funds, and solely for their own use. Personal licenses are not to be purchased, refunded or in any way financed by companies.
Can I use my personal license for commercial development?
Yes, you can use your license for any kind of development. However, only you may use your personal license; you may not share it with others.